Saturday Feb 4, 2023
At The Clay School
Pot Luck lunch
Hayne Bayless will be doing a day of demonstrations at The Clay School on Saturday February 4th
In this one-day, hands-on workshop we’ll explore extrusion and slab techniques in making functional stoneware.
We will work with unconventional forming methods and unusual approaches to surface decoration.
Our approach will be to let the processes show in the work; if we stay out of clay’s way, the material will reveal its true nature and our results will be fresh and lively.
Myths will be busted and secrets revealed.
We will cover:
• combining extrusions and slabs
• colored slip inlay and stretched slabs
• printing with stencils cut from Tyvek
• latex resist decoration
• making hand tools and brushes
• the basics of making custom extruder dies.
This workshop is designed for both throwers and hand-builders with at least some experience working with clay.